Friday, April 17, 2009

A trip down memory lane. And more livestock art.

Let me take you all back to the middle of my undergraduate painting career.  We were having a 'pizza lunch,' during the one year of my educational career that the WashU painting department's allotment/found/stolen money provided for food whilst broadening our horizons (I have never cared so much about art).  Anyway, one afternoon, our guest speaker was artist and UC Berkeley professor Squeak Carnwath, who was visiting Washington University in St. Louis while doing a series of prints with the Island Press.  There were such memorable quotes as "I paint like Rembrandt," but the best comment of all was as follows: "Painting is queen of the arts, and art is a matriarchal family.  Sculpture is just something you trip over."

So I'm sure you can imagine my shock when I found the image above of a Carnwath SCULPTURE! Though I do not have feelings as strong as Squeak's about the ranking of artistic mediums, I would rather not paint Tuscan bistros (OK, I have done it for money....but whatever.... I like staying on prescription medication). So are we all going to eat our words at some point? Is this a sign of the times for the contemporary artist? Did Rembrandt also have to make a sculptural cow for his patrons to pay for rent during a recession? For more of her work: http://www.squeakcarnwath.com/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment